Sunday, November 15, 2015


Timothy

 

 

Somewhere in time, well in the past few months, I haven’t posted a blog.  I knew I was getting busy at work, so I changed to monthly not weekly – but then it got busier than expected.  It’s amazing how something you do with such regularity can be so easily forgotten. 

During this time, I did manage to get another short story in print.  This one was inspired by a song.  The main character is a young man named Timothy. 

Paul wrote letters to a young man named Timothy.  We know he was young and we know he was a leader in the church.

1 Timothy 4:12King James Version (KJV)

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

When I created the main character for my book, I wanted to name him Timothy.  I wanted to portray a young person so excited for the Lord that he wants to tell the world.  I wanted to get something of what I thought the Timothy Paul spoke about, might have been like.  Not perfect, but truly seeking to serve the Lord.

The song tells a story of a Teacher, a Farmer, a Prostitute and a Preacher all on a bus.  At the end, the prostitute ends up with the preachers Bible.  This captivated me.  What kind of a person would not only take up a conversation with a woman of ill repute – but take it so far, she is left with his Bible.  This thought process led me to create Timothy.

He is a young person looking for someone to share the word of the Lord with.  Below is a passage from the book:

Timothy purposefully held himself back from boarding the bus.  He was silently praying. "Lord, look at these people's hearts and tell me who to sit with.  Give me someone that needs your love today."

I wish I was like that.  I wish I looked for opportunities to share the love of Christ with those around me.  I fly sometimes for work, but I don’t think – what an opportunity to share with the person next to me.  Maybe I should start thinking like that.

I have the song below.  Maybe it will inspire you to inspire others.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment