Saturday, September 6, 2014

Happiness

Is Overrated

 

 

Somewhere in time, this last week, a well-known minister’s wife said that God wanted people to be happy.  This caused a stir as people denounced her, derided or and even defended her.  I listened to the short statement and I think we are making a mountain out of molehill. 

The thought is, do we derive happiness from serving God?  I know that serving God helps with the happiness in my life, but I don’t really think happiness is the key.  I think our quest for happiness is overrated.  If we think about how much time people spend worrying about why they aren’t happy – what must be wrong with them if they aren’t happy – when all we need is to be content.

1 Timothy 6:6-8 King James Version (KJV)

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Contentment is a little better than happy; because it comes with a peace and a trust that God has everything under control. 

Does God want me to be happy?  He gives me a lot of things I find happiness in, but I think he wants me to seek godliness and find contentment.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment